4.05.2009

Shot Down

The weekend was supposed to be a good one; I spoke with the cleanup hitter on Friday and understood that she'd be busy that night and Saturday due to the holiday. I hammered home the reason for the conversation with, "Well I'll have to schedule to meet up with you this weekend because I want to see you." She kind of did a step back laugh of disbelief (this is how I took it). What do you think? I guess there aren't many details for this, so it'd be tough to analyze. I am just running with the fact that she drove to see me last time and knew it was just us 2.


Well Friday night my coworkers and I ate a delicious lobster and noodle dinner; he told me on Saturday that Chinese people actually prefer shrimp to lobster because the shrimp meat tastes fresher and is smaller which makes the middle more easily cookable. I couldn't believe this because I freaking love lobster.


When I finally finished stuffing myself, we walked to the hotel, dropped my bag off, changed and headed out to the massage parlor. I reported the price wrong last time; the 1.5 hr foot massage was about 11 USD while the 2 hour body massage ends up being about $15 (so sue me). The foot massage at the same place last time was terrible as the masseuse just didn't have enough power to get to the muscle below all those corns on my feet (joking.. just had to make sure). For the body massage, I elected to go with the girl I had last time; she did a wonderful job and did so again this time. I fell asleep and when I woke up they all told me I was snoring. Good thing too because she massaged my neck last time and it hurt like crazy!!!!! Once she hooked up my back and legs, she asked if I wanted to get my back scraped. I was not feelin this, but my coworker said I should, so I tried a little. After it not hurting, I decided what the hell, and went for it. It wasn't really bad, and in the middle when they scrape the skin over your bones it pretty much hurts but not too bad. They told me after they were 3/4 the way done that it was illegal in the US (thanks). After the scraping, the girl proceeded to light a bowl on fire, put her hand in the bowl, and transfer flames over to my back literally wiping my back down with flames. OOUUUUUCHHHHH!!!! Actually I'm overreacting; not all of it hurt, but sometimes it would really feel like my skin was on fire. She must've had ammonia on her hands, as it didn't seem like she was hurt. This was really unbelievable though; I watched in horror through the mirror as my back literally had flames on it. Needless to say, my back looked like those bodies in biology that only have muscles and bones (disgusting).

My Saturday was just walking around the vicinity of the hotel through the mall and such. I ran out of cash after buying a papa john's pizza for lunch and for heavens sake there are no freaking construction banks around the Kempinski (later found one). The difference between taking out money at a Construction Bank and any other ATM is about 7 USD (am I just cheap???). Note all you BoA holders, go to construction bank in China and Scotia Bank in Canada (not sure about other countries). Anyway, I wanted to buy some cool T-shirts for my sister, and my mentee which I recently just got in contact with.

Around 9PM I went out for dinner w/my coworker downtown. We literally were the last customers at this pretty nice restaurant and the hostess seating us had this nice reddish hair and a nice set of teeth (having a nice set of teeth in China is like have double D's in the US... rare). As soon as she seated us I proceeded to ask, "What are you doing when you get off work?" "uhhh, why?" (I think this chick must've been dumb, why would I ask this?) "Because we want to hang out with you later." "Why? (confused)" Before I could respond, my coworker decided to answer, "Sorry, he just stepped off of a plane."

I am really confused at why he decided to cock block me here. I am thinking he thought it was getting a bit awkward and maybe the workers would get pissed at us because I was hitting on one of the hostesses? Really not sure. I wasn't pleased at all that he interjected while I was spitting my game. I would've kept pushing and if I wasn't successful, I would be unsuccessful, but you gotta let me do my thang. He later said, "In China we don't do that, we start talking and then maybe ask for a number later" I responded, "Well the restuarant is closing and I need to make sure she doesn't leave before I get her #, so I need to do that shit immediately!!!" He didn't seem to understand so I stopped all explanations. Basically all you need to know is women in China do not like to be openly hit on without at least having some sort of interaction for 15 minutes.

Funny thing happened later. I believed the red head left and when our waitress came back to collect our stuff when we were done I asked her where that chick went. She didn't respond at first then said she got off work. I said oh ok, and then said thank you for cleaning up and she didn't respond; pretty icy. My coworker said if you ask girls about other girls they get extremely upset at you... I could tell. I figured that since they all work together and they all saw me attempt w/the red head, that of course I should be inquiring about the red head; if I tried to kick it to that waitress, woudln't that make her feel like 2nd place? I thought girls would want to help each other out... maybe that's just my house.

Later my coworker brought me to 2 bars that just didn't cut it. The first bar I guess was live music or karaoke, but it was 30-50 yr old cow night. The second had young ladies, but was a live music bar with seating. I was wondering, How does one hit on girls when they are all sitting at a table together talking with other dudes? It really didn't seem conducive to number acquisition, and about 2 hours later, it was confirmed it was NOT conducive to number acquisition.

The night ended with me going back to my room, talking to my #2 slot for a couple minutes and heading to bed.

No comments: