On to what happened today. My flight? An excellent one (Bruce Buffer). I got to the airport on time; what a vast airport. The ceiling is so high. I walked over to Air China check in, and for some reason there were 3 gate agents doing nothing while a line of about 10 people were standing looking like they were waiting for lines to open up. Do you also see what was wrong here? I asked the guy in front of me why the hell weren't people moving. He wasn't sure and had not and did not ask anyone else(typically passive). I turned and questioned the security guard; he said they must not be opened yet. This confused me since I had 40 min until my flight took off, it was past noon and the check in line didn't open yet?!?!?
I immediately made eye contact w/the cutest gate agent who was very far away and asked what the deal was. She asked, "Where you flying to?" "Taiwan." "Then come over here." So confusing; I asked her why the other people weren't moving. "We told them they can't check in and to move so it woudln't confuse other customers, but they didn't move." Who asks people to move, it doesn't happen, and nothing is said?!?!?!
Anyway, I got my ticket and headed towards security. Everytime I go through security in the US, I'm always well prepared and never get a beep from the metal detector. In Asia, for some reason, I always get beeped. I think it must be my belt or my jeans?? Really not sure. I made it through in little time despite being searched (the lady grabbed my belt in front, you know where my package lied 4 inches below). I walked through to get 87 and literally went on 3 horizontal escalators (moving walkways?). I think Asian airports (at least the good ones) always have enough of these walkways that you actually walk on more of these than regular ground. Also, the great thing is, you don't have to pay for the luggage carts, and they are really smart in the engineering of the carts. There is a valve that is the same width of the handle bars, but is just a strong wire w/rubber over it. You push this valve down and clutch it w/your hand comfortably as you hold onto the bar below w/your thumbs to unlock the wheels of the cart. If you do not hold the valve down, the cart will be locked in place. Awesome idea!
Anyway, I finally made it to 87 and as I waited I noticed a racked up older (a lot older, i.e. 40s) lady walking around who didn't look interested in anything but getting on the plane. I got on the 30 min delayed flight and to my surprise, that lady sat down right next to me. I waited a bit to strike up conversation. I forgot what I opened with, but anything works. It of course got to the point where she guessed where I was from and I told her America. Typical conversation for me "Your Chinese is pretty good" "Thank you, yours is too" "Of course it is, I'm Chinese" "I was just kidding" "I know (shut the fuck up)" "(Noted)".
I chatted her up and found she was visiting fam in Taiwan. She is a big time HR person in her company that "makes" fruit. I asked her how a company can "make" fruit and she found that an appropriate time to slide me her business card. We conversed some more, and I started noticing her staring at me in that certain way (you know what i'm talking about) after I finished sentences. I think she asked me if I had a girlfriend, and I told her my sob story; "you know it just makes me chase girls even harder here." She laughed and replied "you'll have no problems."
Later she said she wished to learn English because it would be so beneficial then suggested we trade english for chinese lessons (I was hoping to swap fluids). I found that a good oppportunity to tell her about my next potential employement opportunity. Teaching tennis and english over in China. She looked incredibly happy when I mentioned tennis and said she was eager to learn. This was perfect; not only do I have a potential customer instantly, but the other benefits are pretty obvious.
I then gave her my old PwC card as I do NOT like giving out my current work card to anyone other than business contacts. I'll probably call her tomorrow during the day to see what's poppin.
My results so far on day 1 of Taiwan:
# total: 1
Contact attempt/made: 0/0
Dates: 0
That being said, we'll end on a quote from Coach K of Duke University. I freaking love this:
"I like when your women stick up for you, you know," Krzyzewski said, laughing. "That's the cool thing. That's a really good thing. As a guy it makes you say, 'Maybe I still got it, whatever I have, I got.' "
No comments:
Post a Comment