12.31.2009

Flying through a Snowstorm

Saturday we woke up to a clear day, but it was supposed to snow. Sylvana checked her flight that afternoon out of Newark, and it had already been cancelled. Since she had a flight the next day at midnight from SFO to Taiwan she started looking online and found a Jet Blue flight out of JFK (the ONLY one that was not cancelled). She booked it and still had a contingency plan in case that one didn't take off. She changed the northwest flight from Newark to Sunday. It started snowing and we set off around 230 to get to JFK for her 6:58 flight. We started to drive, but it was snowing pretty hard, so I decided to take public transportation. I called Daigo to confirm the trip details.

First we went NJT to Penn Station ($27.50 for a round trip and one one way). Then connected to the LIRR to Jamaica; it cost me about +$20 dollars because I bought peak tickets even though it was not peak (round trip and one way)!!!! From Jamaica, we took a $5 air tran to the airport. We got there about an hour and a half before and she got through security.

I went back to Jamaica to wait for her flight to take off to make the most efficient use of time possible. I had to pay for the airtran back AT jamaica, so it made the most sense to wait there. She told me she got on the plane, and I hopped through the turnstyle and tried to make the next LIRR back to Penn station.

As I was riding NJT back to Metro park, she alerted me they had NOT taken off yet!!!I started to worry, but I was already on the last leg of the trip back, so I could just sit and wait. She said they were unable to get back to the gate because of the snow, and they weren't taking off (Shades of the other jet blue flight where people were stuck on a plane for 10 hours!). Fortuntaely for us, Sylvana took off around 11 (not bad). They eventually got in the air, and she sent me a text while I was asleep that she'd made it. Luckily for her, she was able to catch her flight on Sunday from SFO to Taiwan.

No comments: